In these celebrated isles, there are diverse cultures to appreciate from the pomp and ceremony of royal life to the music and dance of Celtic countries. One of the top cultural pursuits this year is a combination of literature, film and TV.
Great works of literature have brought British and Irish culture into our homes and now it’s time to find out what inspired the writers, where did they live and where was the movie or TV show filmed?
Britain and Ireland are brimming with literary destinations and tours to answer your questions. These countries have preserved their
history and culture so we have many fascinating sights and events to choose from:
- Relax in Thomas Hardy Country in Dorset.
- Walk in Shakespeare’s footsteps at Stratford-upon-Avon.
- Explore the world of Sherlock Holmes in London.
- Attend the Jane Austen Festival in Bath.
- Go walking in Northern England’s Bronte Country.
- Discover Sir Walter Scott’s home in the Scottish Borders.
- Ride the scenic Harry Potter Jacobite Steam Train in Scotland.
- Delve into the heritage center at the Dylan Thomas Boathouse, Wales.
- Take a literary walking tour or pub crawl in Dublin.
- Investigate the Agatha Christie Literary Trail, South Devon.
There are also plenty of highlights to bring to life movies, Masterpiece Theater dramas and British mystery series. Visit locations where the shows were filmed, explore museums and memorabilia related to the author or characters, eat at pubs and restaurants used on the show or by the cast during filming, take private guided tours at castles, sets and buildings used in the production. Savor all this and more during informative tours or self-drive explorations like these:
- On Location with Victoria and The Crown, Yorkshire.
- The Inspector Morse, Lewis and Endeavour tour of Oxford.
- The Outlander Tour of Scotland.
- Downton Abbey – Fiction into Fact, Oxfordshire & Berkshire.
- Wolf Hall and Poldark film locations, Wiltshire.
- Harry Potter Studio Set Tour, London.
- The Midsomer Murders Tour of Locations, Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire.
- Doctor Who tours of Cardiff or London.
- James Bond Private Tours of London.
- Explore the North Antrim Coast in Northern Ireland used as the backdrop for Game Of Thrones.
Don’t forget that our On Location partners are on hand to help with personalized tours and tailor-made services for any special requests. There are many options available to make your themed visit even more extra special.
Enhance your Britain and Ireland stay with the inspirational locations of literature, film and TV.